THE BENEFITS OF PREGNANCY MASSAGE
A pregnancy massage relaxes your body, but there are many more benefits to it.
Why is it healthy to treat yourself to a massage regularly?
Think about how hard your body is working during pregnancy: all the important physical processes, the changes for your body to make room for your baby and ensure he can develop. Your body is made for it, but it can be tough some days.
Due to pregnancy hormones, your joints become more flexible. The extra weight of your belly results in your back and leg muscles having to work harder. That is why pregnant women are advised to take it easy. But it can be hard to give yourself that extra rest, especially when “normal” life with work stress and/or caring for an older child continues. A pregnancy massage allows you to completely relax and recharge and helps you to consciously reflect on all the changes.
There are a number of health benefits pregnancy massage can bring:
- Improved sleep quality. Deep tissue massage helps the increased production of melatonin hormone and serotonin compounds in the body. As a result, you get to have your sleep rhythms regulated. When a pregnant woman receives a massage, it improves the quality of her sleep which promotes a good overall effect on the body.
- Lowers stress and anxiety levels. Cortisol is referred to as the stress hormone. When a pregnant woman is introduced to massage therapy as part of prenatal care, the level of cortisol in her body is reduced significantly. This lets her experience good hormones that have been known to improve mood, vitality, and immunity.
- Lessens swelling of the joints. Oedema is a medical term used for swelling. It is a common occurrence during pregnancy, and is caused by low circulation and extra pressure on the blood vessels. In order to stimulate the soft tissues and lower the buildup of fluids in swollen joints, deep tissue massage is recommended for pregnant women. At the same time, massage is able to improve the lymph system’s ability to remove tissue waste in the body.
- Alleviates muscle pain and cramps. Pregnant women also commonly experience muscle pain and cramps. These discomforts usually occur due to muscular tension and heightened motor neuron activity. With the help of a specialist experienced in pregnancy massage at The Rub, these can be greatly reduced.
- Reduces nerve pain. A number of women experience sciatic nerve pain, especially in the late stages of their pregnancy. This is because their uterus rests on the muscles in the lower back and pelvic floor. When this happens, the pressure extends tension to the upper and lower leg muscles which result in swelling in these areas. Pregnancy massage helps release the tension they feel in nearby muscles. Through massage, women get to experience less sciatic nerve pain throughout their pregnancy.
- Lowers risk for premature birth. Studies have shown that pregnant mothers who regularly received prenatal massage therapy were less likely to encounter a premature birth as compared to women who did not get a massage throughout their pregnancy.
- Reduces the baby’s stress hormones. Apart from helping the pregnant mother, massage also lowers the stress hormones in the baby. Research has shown that massage plays a vital factor in reducing the baby’s cortisol levels even if they are still inside their mother’s womb. Because of this, it is safe to say that mothers aren’t the only ones who receive the health benefits of pregnancy massage.